As a WordPress Engineering Manager, you lead, manage, and hold accountable a team of our WordPress developers, ensuring the quality of their work and the growth of their careers. Your success in this role takes excellent and compassionate communication, resourcefulness, collaboration, big ideas, and initiative when faced with ambiguity.
This role has a hands-on engineering component. The need varies from client to client, and can include anything from custom code and team leadership to general consulting and guidance on architecture. You’ll be instrumental in leading our technical teams, and be a guide in our always-changing technical landscape.
When balancing your time, your goal is to be roughly 60% billable on client projects. The remaining 40% of your time focused on growing and mentoring your team, establishing better tools and processes, and ensuring a high-quality end product for our clients. You will report to Katherine White, CTO.
Your day to day will be a combination of the following:
- Engaging one-on-one with your team members, understanding their unique needs, technical specialties, aspirations, and opportunities for improvement.
- Collaborating with the rest of the Engineering Management and TechOps teams to set the technical priorities, processes, and direction for the department.
- Helping your team stay unblocked and on target.
- Architecting projects by guiding technical strategy, development, and deployment, ensuring the delivery of outstanding digital experiences.
- Building flexible and reusable code that helps us become more efficient and stretches our capabilities.
- Assisting with technical sales engineering documentation, calls, and pitches.
- Assisting with technical research and development and special projects.
ABOUT THE COMPENSATION & WORK REQUIREMENTS
This is a full-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience. This is a 100% remote role, but you must live and be able to work in the United States or Canada.
NOW... LET'S TALK ABOUT YOU!
We are looking for candidates with…
- Experience leading engaged, distributed development teams working on both support and build projects in a professional agency setting
- Experience with WordPress across the full spectrum of specialties - theme development, plugin development, and configuration management
- Experience serving as a technical architect or solutions architect for an agency
- Strong organization, project management, and client relationship-building skills
- Technology expertise with insights about technology trends and solutions
- Proven ability to translate complex technical concepts and challenges for non-technical and client audiences
- WordPress performance optimization
- Decoupled WordPress development experience
- WCAG 2.1 compliance experience
- Familiarity with Drupal and WordPress architectures
- Exposure to multiple project management methodologies
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or related discipline preferred (but not required)
- Understanding of automated deployment workflows and tooling
At Kanopi, we believe a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and voices make for a better workplace. We strongly and enthusiastically encourage people of color, individuals who identify within and beyond the LGBTQ+ spectrum, women, and people with disabilities to apply.